Obesity is about more than extra pounds and it is good to know there are medical weight management options available. It’s (obesity) a complex medical problem that requires a serious treatment plan. Wake Forest Baptist Health’s Weight Management Center is among a handful of weight-loss clinics nationwide to offer comprehensive medical weight loss and surgical weight loss programs in one location. Facilities in Winston-Salem, Greensboro and High Point allow patients to make the most informed decision when choosing a weightloss option and work with a dedicated team of dietitians, fitness specialists, health behaviorists and doctors for optimal success.
The center’s weight-loss surgery program is recognized as an accredited Comprehensive Center with Obesity Medicine Qualifications by the American College of Surgeons and the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. The center’s other designations, which recognize superior and affordable care from the highest quality providers, include the Blue Distinction Center+ Bariatric Surgery, the Optum Bariatric Center of Excellence and the Aetna Institutes of Quality for Bariatric Surgery. The center’s bariatric surgeons are some of the most highly regarded in the field and perform such surgeries as:
- Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
- Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Duodenal Switch
- Single Anastomosis Duodeno-Ileostomy (SADI-S)
- ORBERA Gastric Balloon
Through Medical Weight Management options, the center includes several tailored programs that help patients make key lifestyle changes that lead to weight loss, weight maintenance and improved overall health. Those programs include:
- By Design Optifast, a high-intensity, 52-week program using a meal replacement strategy
- By Design Essentials, a moderate intensity, 24-week program
- By Design Connections, a low-intensity, virtual-only 24-week program
- By Design Medicare, for those with Medicare
- Pre-Hab, for those needing to lose weight before a medical procedure (for example, joint replacement)
- Healthy Futures, for weight gain management during pregnancy
A Team Effort
Everyone struggles with weight for different reasons, which means there is no easy, one-size-fits-all approach to success. The Weight Management Center’s approach is a team effort that begins with people, not pre-written diet and exercise plans. Whether individuals choose weight-loss surgery or the medical weight-management program, an expert team of metabolic and bariatric surgeons and obesity-medicine specialists tailors the programs to meet individual needs with customized nutrition plans, exercise development and counseling. Led by co-directors Drs. Jamy Ard and Adolfo “Fuzz” Fernandez, that team of experts remains available for lifelong support.
The center offers full-service weight-loss clinics that prioritize patient experience and convenience. Those clinics offer:
- An on-site Nutrition Shop at all locations.
- Exercise physiologists, psychologists, counselors and dietitians on-staff who specialize in working with weightloss clients.
- An on-site gym with the latest strength and cardio equipment that is available, by appointment only, for a more personalized, private workout experience.
Getting You Healthy Safely
The Weight Management Center not only has the expert team to provide a personalized treatment plan, they can provide the care safely using virtual visits and remote monitoring. The On Track system includes a wireless scale and digital app that allows providers to monitor important information about treatment progress. With this information, team members can give patients needed advice during video visits that can be conducted from any location in the state.
For more information about Wake Forest Baptist Health’s Weight-Management Center, visit WakeHealth.edu/ WeightManagement or call 888-716-WAKE (9253). For appointments, call 336-716-6099. The center is open 8 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday, with virtual visits available outside of normal business hours.
This post originally appeared as an article in the December 2020 issue of DavieLiFE as Weight Management: When Losing Means Winning.